The sunny cliffs of Albuquerque, NM played host to this stone construction workshop at a recent Professional Trailbuilders Conference.
Workshops and Training
The trailbuilders at Timber & Stone, LLC are committed to providing an enriching (and fun) educational experience to all participants. Due to the nature of the material, most workshops and trainings include a hands-on component, however, workshops can be presented in a lecture style format as well.
Workshops and trainings are open to participants of all abilities. Learning new tools and skills can be intimidating. Our staff takes the upmost care to ensure that all students are included and comfortable with the technical skills presented.
Some of the organizations that Timber & Stone, LLC has presented workshops and completed trainings for include:
- Professional Trailbuilders Association
- Vermont Trails and Greenways Council Trails Symposium
- Vermont Governor's Conference on Recreation
- University of Vermont
- Antioch New England Graduate School
- The Nature Conservancy
- Catamount Trail Association
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- New England Trailbuilders Conference
- Student Conservation Association Crew Leader Training
- Vermont Youth Conservation Corps Crew Leader Training
Trail Layout and Design Workshops emphasize the importance of keeping the hikers on the trail and the rain off the trail. With a focus on topography, natural features, and the user experience, participants learn the essentials of sustainable trail design.
Stone Construction Workshops are hosted in a variety of environments. Groups are introduced to the challenge, and inevitable success, of selecting, shaping, and installing stone into trail structures. Structures critical to trail construction— including stone steps, retaining walls, and stone paving—are learned through hands-on experience.